KFC forced to pay $8.3 million in settlement to Australian girl poisoned by its Twister Wrap
Linkedin

KFC forced to pay $8.3 million in settlement to Australian girl poisoned by its Twister Wrap

Sydney : Australia | Apr 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
KFC Honey BBQ Glaze Twister

Fast food giant KFC has been forced to pay $8.3 million to the family of a girl who got poisoned by eating the restaurant's Twister Wrap.

All the family members ate the wrap and got poisoned, but the youngest girl's condition got the worst. The Australian girl has been left severely brain-damaged and in a wheelchair after getting poisoned by that chicken meal.

The incident took place in 2005, when the then seven-year-old girl named Monika Samaan, her parents and her brother consumed a Twister Wrap meal, which was shared by the entire family. They stopped over at a KFC joint near Sydney and shortly after eating the meal, all of them became sick. They were taken to the hospital and there it was discovered that the entire family had been poisoned with salmonella. The girl's parents and brother recovered, but she did not and was left brain damaged for life.

Kentucky Fried Chicken or KFC is owned by a Kentucky-based brand by the name of Yum!, and their rep said that it was a tragic case but also that the management was "deeply disappointed and surprised by the decision" and would appeal against it. The company denied being responsible for the girl's condition and even challenged her family's claims during a four-week long trial. However, the company lost the case as a New South Wales Supreme Court judge ruled the case in favor of the Samaan family. The judge said that KFC had breached its responsibility of providing care to the girl. The judge said that the company would now have to pay the girl's family $8.3 million in damages as well as court costs.

According to the lawyers of the Samaan family, the girl's illness had exhausted the very limited resources the family had and hence the settlement was truly deserved by the family.

Monika Samaan has remained in coma for six months and in the hospital for a total of seven months.

1 of 1
KFC has been ordered to pay $8.3 mln to an Australian girl who suffered severe brain damage after eating a Twister wrap
KFC has been ordered to pay $8.3 mln to an Australian girl who suffered severe brain damage after eating a Twister wrap
Samantha86 is based in New York City, New York, United States of America, and is an Anchor for Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • KFC must pay poisoned girl $8.3m

    KFC must pay $8.3m to poisoned girl in Australia KFC says it will appeal against the decision Fast-food giant KFC has been ordered to pay $8.3m (£5.1m) to the family of an Australian girl left severely brain damaged after being poisoned by a chicken...
  • KFC ordered to pay $8m to girl

      Adelaide Now
    KFC has been told to pay $8 million to the parents of a girl who say she was left paralysed and brain damaged after eating a chicken Twister. Monika Samaan, 7, became seriously ill with salmonella poisoning after eating at the Villawood KFC in 2005.
  • KFC to pay $8m over girl's brain damage

      Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Monika Samaan became seriously ill when she ate a chicken twister at Villawood KFC in 2005. A New South Wales Supreme Court judge today ruled KFC will have to pay $8 million plus legal costs after the lengthy litigation case...Topics: courts-and-...
  • KFC fined $8 million for Australia food poisoning

      AP Online
    An Australian judge has ordered KFC to pay 8 million Australian dollars ($8.3 million) to the family of a Sydney girl left brain damaged after eating one of the fast food giant's chicken wraps. Monika Samaan's family sued KFC, claiming...
  • Girl Sues KFC for Poisoning and Paralyzation – Wins $8 Million!

      ThecounT.com
    Lisa Mason Lee April 27, 2012 1,326 Views An Australian girl named Monika Samaan, ate a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) Chicken Twister Wrap in 2005 when she was 7 years old, and became seriously ill with salmonella poisoning. Samaan, who once said she...
  • KFC ordered to pay $8m to brain-damaged girl

      The Age
    Picture courtesy of NBN News The family of a young girl who was left severely brain damaged from salmonella poisoning after eating a KFC chicken twister has been awarded $8 million in damages plus costs by the NSW Supreme Court. Seven-year-old Monika...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.