Ex-Marine Charles Dyer has been convicted of raping his 7-year-old daughter, with a recommendation of a 30-year-sentence by the jury. Dyer, who has posted videos on YouTube under his July4Patriot channel, was convicted during his third trial stemming from charges of rape and forcible sodomy. The first trial ended with no verdict and a mistrial was called in April 2011.
According to ABC News, prior to the second trial, “The sheriff also said that Dyer had been seen hanging around the courthouse in the days leading up to the trial, wearing a thigh holster and backpack and carrying a Bible. McKinney said the behavior was meant to intimidate people at the court.”
ABC News reports that “Dyer is part of a controversial group called Oath Keepers that includes current and former law enforcement and military members who take an oath to obey the Constitution rather than the president. Dyer has posted videos on YouTube talking about a 'New World Order' and calling for people to 'rise up' against 'tyrannical government.'"
Oath Keepers often support the Tea Party movement. Members of the Oath Keepers are former military and police. Their website says, “Oath Keepers is a non-partisan association of currently serving military, reserves, National Guard, peace officers, and veterans who swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic … and meant it.”
“Declaration of Orders We Will NOT Obey: Recognizing that we each swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and affirming that we are guardians of the Republic, of the principles in our Declaration of Independence, and of the rights of our people, we affirm and declare the following:
1. We will NOT obey any order to disarm the American people.
2. We will NOT obey any order to conduct warrantless searches of the American people, their homes, vehicles, papers, or effects - such as warrantless house-to house searches for weapons or persons.
3. We will NOT obey any order to detain American citizens as “unlawful enemy combatants” or to subject them to trial by military tribunal.
4. We will NOT obey orders to impose martial law or a “state of emergency” on a state, or to enter with force into a state, without the express consent and invitation of that state’s legislature and governor.
5. We will NOT obey orders to invade and subjugate any state that asserts its sovereignty.
6. We will NOT obey any order to blockade American cities, thus turning them into giant concentration camps.
7. We will NOT obey any order to force American citizens into any form of detention camps under any pretext.
8. We will NOT obey orders to assist or support the use of any foreign troops on U.S. soil against the American people to “keep the peace” or to “maintain control.”
9. We will NOT obey any orders to confiscate the property of the American people, including food and other essential supplies.
10.We will NOT obey any orders which infringe on the right of the people to free speech, to peaceably assemble, and to petition their government for a redress of grievances.”