An Israeli defense official says rockets fired from Egypt earlier this month at the Israeli resort town ofwere smuggled from Libya.
According to Israeli TV, channel10, rockets were smuggled out of Libya and then to the Gaza Strip, and fired from the Sinai by the Gaza-based Popular Resistance Committees.
Security source said that forensic evidence indicated that these rockets were smuggled out of Libya after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi.
Last year, Israeli officials told Reuters news that Israel believes longer-range Scud missiles, anti-aircraft and anti-tank rockets were smuggled from Libya to Gaza from during Libya's six-month civil war.
However, army officials in Israel have been worried that the Sinai has become a base for Islamist militants since former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's downfall last year.
On Saturday, Yediot Ahranot, an Israeli newspaper, reported that Egyptian security forces in north Sinai captured two Libyan nationals and an officer in the Libyan army on suspicion of involvement in the smuggling of arms from Libya to Gaza.
Also on Saturday, the Israeli Counter-Terrorism Bureau issued a call to Israeli tourists in the Sinai to immediately leave the area and return to Israel as they claimed there are terrorist groups in Sinai planning to kidnap Israeli citizens.
Meanwhile, the Gaza-based Popular Resistance Committees denied Israeli claims that the Grad missiles fired two weeks ago at the southern Israeli city of Eilat were launched by the group's armed wing.
PRC spokesman Abu al-Hasan told reporters in Gaza that “the Israeli accusations reflect malicious goals seeking to justify possible targeted assassinations against Jihad fighters.”
Abu al-Hasan added that such accusations and claims could be a preliminary step toward a possible military offensive against the Gaza Strip.
He highlighted that his group had announced several times that it carries out resistance activities insideonly, and that is an unchangeable strategy.
At that time, an Egyptian security official in the southern Sinai said the Egyptian-Israeli border was "intensively secured," and no one had detected a flash of light or sound of explosion. Egyptian forces were searching the area along the border but had not found any evidence indicating any rockets had been fired from the Sinai,the security official added.