Before you start a career as an SEO copywriter, here’s a reality check.
Living as a copywriter is hard work. You also need to keep up with the search engine changing algorithms. Plus, you need to write exceptionally well. But, working as an SEO copywriter is incredibly fun. Once you master the best practice basics you will have the liberty to choose your clients, work from anywhere, and make a decent income. If you fancy working with an industry filled with brilliant individuals SEO copywriting is your best choice. I worked from home as an SEO copywriter for almost 4 years, and it’s been a blast.
You don’t need talent to write optimized content for websites that will perform. You need the ability to learn and apply the knowledge. Use each job to learn something then apply it to the next one. Over and over.
Conversely, every writer needs to be able to write clearly, have a clear understanding of the spelling and grammar rules plus an excellent grasp of the English language. I will leave this up to you to decide if you have these skills. And if you don’t, again it’s up to you to acquire them.
Now that’s out of the way, I will discuss the steps towards getting a paid job as an SEO copywriter.
• Learn everything you can about online writing or SEO. I came from print, and I tell you that I take the same set of writing skills and apply them just a little bit differently when I started writing online. But the better I learn about SEO the better I am able to help my clients.
• Learn about direct response copywriting basics to help you write online content that is engaging and converts.
• Take copywriting course to get all the information you need from a trusted source before moving to the next level.
• Start your own website and put what you’ve learned to practice and test it on your website. Make sure that your site is perfect because your client will ask if you have a site to check out. Besides, it’s pretty weird calling yourself an online writer if you have no website of your own, right?
• Optimize your website and be sure you are in search results when you are considered for a copywriting gig. Most copywriters routinely evaluate new copywriters they are considering to hire by doing a Google search for the applicant’s name.
• Offer your services for free or low cost to get your foot in the door. It takes a while to ramp your copywriting career so try to offer free or low cost services to get your foot in the door and prove your value. In return, they will provide everything else you need to cultivate more clients you can charges for your services.
• Work as an SEO copywriting assistant to gain experience and work one on one with a pro. And you have an expert to help you with questions to guide you on your way.