Medical laboratories are equipped with devices to collect, test and analyze tissues, cells or fluids for the diagnosis or treatment of diseases. This article looks at some of the basic medical equipment that small laboratories need to carry out these operations.
List of Essential Laboratory Equipment
A list of medical devices for small laboratories would include:
- Laboratory refrigerators and freezers
- Water baths
Accessories, reagents and consumable would also be required.
An important point to remember when buying lab equipment is that it should preferably be compact, portable lightweight. A closer look at some commonly used devices:
- Laboratory autoclaves: Used for sterilization, autoclaves are indispensable in medical labs. Small facilities usually have a space constraint. So they should invest in autoclaves that can be accommodated even on a crowded benchtop. The 230V BioClave 16 Benchtop Research Autoclave from Benchmark Research Products is an excellent model that is compact but features steel interior chambers that are spacious enough to hold a variety of liquids, media, instruments, glassware, plasticware and other common laboratory items. It is fully automatic and offers complete rapid sterilization.
- Laboratory centrifuges: Centrifuges are another indispensable piece of medical laboratory equipment. They spin liquids at very high speeds to separate their components for analysis. There are many different types of centrifuges available in the market, including floor and benchtop models. The Beckman Spinchron centrifuge is an excellent system designed for use in all facilities performing any clinical laboratory testing.
- Laboratory microscopes: Used for close examination of specimens, lab microscopes could be monocular, binocular or trinocular. Necessary for pathology, hematology, cytology and microbiology tests, a good microscope is built for rigorous daily laboratory use. Large eye pieces offering high-resolution flat-field imaging are available. User-friendly models with a good light source ensure hassle-free operation.
- Laboratory refrigerators and freezers: The ideal type of freezer for lab use would be one that features a temperature that allows long-term storage of vaccines and laboratory products. Units that easily fit on top of counters are available.
Sourcing Medical Equipment for Small Laboratories
It is highly recommended that lab equipment and supplies are sourced from a supplier that offers new and recertified equipment. Small medical labs that operate on limited budgets would find recertified equipment a great advantage as it costs much less than new. Reliable suppliers take care to see that the recertified equipment they offer is refurbished to meet original manufacturer specifications.
Partnering with a CCR certified medical equipment supplier is also advisable. This would ensure the services of factory-trained technicians, on-site repair, prompt and safe product delivery, proper warranty, and the availability of controls, consumables, spare parts and accessories, and reagents. Competitive pricing is also ensured.