KABUL - The coordinated suicide attacks carried out by the Taliban in Kabul in particular, the most massive in ten years of war in the Afghan capital, ended Monday after 18 hours of fighting, making a total of 47 dead, including 37 attackers, a further blow for the Afghan government and the international community.
These guerrilla actions, marking the beginning of their traditional "spring offensive" according to the Taliban, were also killed eight people in the ranks of Afghan forces and three civilians were killed, according to the Interior Minister, Bismillah Mohammadi.
These attacks come less than a month to a NATO summit in Chicago, during which Western governments want to set the framework for their support in Kabul after the withdrawal of international forces fighting planned for late 2014. Afghan forces will then be taken over, a challenge according to experts unanimously.
Measured against a relatively small human toll of these attacks and the elimination of the attackers, the U.S. commander of the NATO force was however quick to praise the response of Afghan forces and U.S. Ambassador to Kabul in their ability to take over foreign soldiers.
It is pointed out by the Taliban in the early attacks, the attackers were suicide bombers intended to die as in most of their guerrilla actions.
Much died by triggering their vests loaded with explosives and thus to attack several targets in the heart of a major city.
At least six coordinated attacks targeted including the parliament, a vice president, international force of NATO (ISAF) and Western embassies in the Afghan capital.
The police have managed to break into the night from Sunday to Monday in Kabul, after 18 hours of fighting, and with the support of U.S. planes.
Besides the 47 dead, about forty members of the Afghan forces and 25 civilians were wounded in attacks in Kabul and three other provinces, including one for a major air base in Jalalabad
The police chief of Kabul, Mohammad Ayoub Salangi, also told AFP that a quarantine of civilians held hostage by assailants in a building adjoining the parliament had been released unharmed.
"I am immensely proud of the speed of the response of Afghan forces in Kabul", reacted on Sunday evening U.S. General John Allen, who commands the ISAF. Over two thirds of the approximately 130,000 soldiers of the international force are American.
But these new attacks in a city full of dams and heavily armed police and soldiers, reinforces the experts in their fears of a deterioration of the conflict.
"That they have succeeded in simultaneously launching complex attacks demonstrates some degree of improvement in their ability to move without being detected" in the heart of this device, said Martine van Bijlert, Network Analysts of Afghanistan, a think tank specializing in the conflict.
"This is pure guerrilla, who demonstrates a genuine willingness and determination to hit the symbols, to make an impression on the media plan, a show of force what they say, bodes ill for the future well "an expert said .
NATO and the U.S. continue the process of withdrawal of their troops fighting supposed to be completed in late 2014, faced with Western public opinion increasingly reluctant to maintain their military equipments in Afghanistan .