After Taliban, Hizb-e-Islami initiates dialogue with US
Linkedin

After Taliban, Hizb-e-Islami initiates dialogue with US

Peshawar : Pakistan | Apr 05, 2012 at 5:22 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 

For long, the United States has been trying to initiate meaningful dialogue with militants based in Afghanistan to bring peace and stability in the country. Dr. Ghairat Baheer, who is Hizb-e-Islami’s Afghanistan political committee head, said on Thursday that a delegation of his outfit would shortly be meeting US officials in Kabul to define a road map for a better future of the violence-wracked Afghanistan. He was speaking to media persons at the 44th founding anniversary of his organisation being celebrated in Peshawar.

Ghairat Baheer declined to comment on the questions of what was discussed with US officials in the two rounds of talks that had already been held. Baheer said his organisation believed in open dialogue with the US and whatever they do would be in the best interest of Afghanistan and its people. He also said his organization did not believe in secret talks as secret talks are done by those who are out to protect their vested interests under the garb of bringing peace and stability in the country.

Earlier, the US also initiated dialogue with Taliban to discuss the post-withdrawal of US-led coalition forces from Afghanistan. A political office was also set up in Qatar, where Taliban were supposed to have dialogue with US officials and strike a final deal on peace in Afghanistan. The US wanted them to lay down arms and also separate themselves from the terrorist outfit al-Qaeda. Taliban leaders expressed their willingness to lay down arms but they remained reluctant to dissociate themselves from al-Qaeda. The United Stated offered them a significant role in the politics of Afghanistan after withdrawal of the US-led coalition forces. The US plans to withdraw its troops from the country by the end of 2014.

Two weeks back, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the United States was still ready to initiate dialogue with Taliban if they renounced violence and their links with al-Qaeda. However, Taliban leaders have yet not responded to the fresh offer of dialogue. Taliban got offended after NATO troops burned copies of Holy Quran at one of their basis in Afghanistan and US officials took no action against the accused. Taliban leaders were further shocked when one of the US troops killed around 17 people – mostly women and children – in southern Afghanistan and the culprit was whisked away despite President Karzai’s insistence that the culprit be tried in Afghanistan.

The US appears to be fed up with the prolonged war and wants to get rid of it, but is also looking for some face-saving options. US Defense Secretary Leon Panetta has even said that the US would stop combat operation in the insurgency-torn Afghanistan by the end of 2013. The prolonged war has cost lives of hundreds of soldiers, while the economic loss incurred to the country is in billions of dollars.

1 of 1
Women’s meeting to bring change to Eastern Afghanistan [Image 6 of 9]
Women’s meeting to bring change to Eastern Afghanistan [Image 6 of 9]
From: DVIDSHUB
StephenManual is based in New York City, New York, United States of America, and is a Reporter for Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Quran burning investigations completed

    Military personnel at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan burned religious materials, including some Qurans, in February. A joint investigation conducted by U.S. and Afghan authorities has been completed for several weeks, the official said...It is in the...
  • ?No drone attacks? launched from Afghanistan after 2014

      Pakistan Chronicle
    Afghan soil will not be used to launch attacks against any country after foreign troops withdraw, the war-torn nation's foreign minister told Al-Jazeera in an interview, excerpts of which were received by AFP on Friday. Afghan soil will not be used...
  • 8 Afghan local police killed in outpost attack

      AP Online
    Afghanistan (AP) — Police officials say gunmen have attacked an outpost of a government-sponsored militia force in western Afghanistan, killing eight people. Farah province police chief Shamsul Rahman Zahid says the attack happened late...
  • Afghan forces to lead controversial night raids

      Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Their conduct had been one of the biggest hurdles in negotiations on a broader strategic pact to underpin a future US presence in the country, likely including advisers and special forces soldiers to help safeguard stability. US Marine General John...
  • VIDEO: Afghan-US night raids deal signed

    Afghanistan takes full responsibility for night raids 8 April 2012 Last updated at 15:31 ET The Afghan government has signed a deal with the United States which gives Afghanistan full responsibility for special forces carrying out night raids against...
  • United States to cease Afghan night raids

      United Press International
    The U.S. military signed an agreement with Afghanistan in Kabul Sunday to stop launching night-time raids on insurgent targets, officials said...John Allen and Afghan Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak signed the agreement that will put the raids...

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Related People

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.