Report by JENIFERLAMUG
March 31, 2012- Peter Kurmann, 33, was killed by a 4-meter (13-foot) shark midmorning today while diving from a boat with his brother off Stratham Beach, southwestern Australia.
The victim’s bother Gian Kurmann, 34, was unharmed.
Kurmann’s body was recovered by the older brother with the help of crew of a nearby boat and taken south to the town of Busselton, said Tony Cappelluti, Fisheries Department manager.
Reportedly, authorities had already launched an investigation, which will include an examination of bite marks on the victim’s body (a businessman) to determine the shark species.
The said attack was considered by authorities as the fourth fatal shark attack in Australia since September and all of them were off the continent's southwest corner, the Associated Press reported.
American George Thomas Wainwright, 32, was also killed by a 3-meter (10-foot) shark on Oct. 22, while diving solo off a boat near Rottnest Island, west of Perth.
A 64-year-old Australian swimmer Bryn Martin was also taken on Oct. 10 at Cottesloe Beach, attacked by a shark same size with Wainwright’s attacker.
On Sept. 4, a 21-year-old bodyboarder Kyle Burden was attacked by a 4.5 meters (15 feet) long and died at a beach south of Perth.