UPDATE: Mohamed Merah didn’t send the video, French officials say
Linkedin

UPDATE: Mohamed Merah didn’t send the video, French officials say

Paris : France | Mar 28, 2012 at 2:30 AM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
SEGUENI MOHAMED EXTRAIT LIVE PARIS

Report by JENIFERLAMUG

PARIS-A video which was reportedly sent to Al-Jazeera news network on Tuesday, showing images of a Muslim gunman and his victims at a Jewish School was not sent by the shooter Mohamed Merah but a possible accomplice, French officials say.

Said video was not aired by Al-Jazeera after a request from French President Nicolas Sarkozy not to broadcast it.

Merah, 23, killed three children and a rabbi on March 19 and gunned down three French paratroopers in his previous shootings, which police called a “war chants.”

Based on a technical analysis, French official told press that Merah did not send the parcel. Said official who spoke on condition of anonimity did not indicate however, if the analysis included fingerprints, DNA, surveillance or other data, reports say.

Merah, was described by French politicians as a "lone wolf" terrorist. Reportedly, he was also planning to do other assassinations but was finally killed on Thursday when police besieged his flat at southeastern city of Toulousse.

Abdelkader, the killer’s older brother is now behind bars on preliminary charges for complicity in murder and terrorism. Though there is not any evidence yet against him, police suspected him as the biggest accomplice.

The killer who claimed that he had a link to Al-Qaeda was reportedly had weapon trainings when he traveled to Afghanistan. But police said they have found no link between Merah and the terrorist group.

Investigators are still looking for potential accomplice.

See related report: http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/11795774-toulouse-shootings-aljazeera-receives-video-from-shooter-claiming-responsibility-from-murders

1 of 30
Next
People look at the boarded balcony and window of the ground floor flat where special forces police staged the assault on the gunman Mohamed Merah, in Toulouse
People look at the boarded balcony and window of the ground floor flat where special forces police staged the assault on the gunman Mohamed Merah, in Toulouse
JeniferLamug is based in Hong Kong, , China, and is a Reporter on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Al Jazeera not to air French killings video

      Al Jazeera English
    51 Residents pass near a boarded balcony of the building where police staged an assault on Merah in Toulouse [Reuters] Al Jazeera has said it will not air a video that it received showing three shooting attacks in Toulouse and Montauban in southern...
  • Police say Merah videotaped killings

      United Press International
    French police say they have obtained a video of killings allegedly committed by Mohamed Merah, the so-called scooter killer, in the south of France The video, presumed shot by Merah, who claimed to be an al-Qaida member, was sent to the Paris office...
  • Al-Jazeera not to air video of French attacks

    Al-Jazeera says it will not air a video that appears to show the attacks on soldiers and a Jewish school in southwestern France from the killer's point of view. French President Nicolas Sarkozy, other French officials and family members of the...
  • Sarkozy asks Al-Jazeera not to broadcast video of Toulouse attacks

      The Globe & Mail
    Video Video Photos Police traced the attacks to Mohamed Merah, a 23-year-old Frenchman, who was killed last week after a more than 30-hour standoff with police at his apartment building. Mr. Merah had claimed to police that he had links to al-Qaeda,...
  • France urges TV networks not to air shooting videos

      The Daily Star
    France's President Nicolas Sarkozy delivers a speech at the Elysee Palace in Paris March 27, 2012 to magistrates and police who took part in the investigations following the shooting of seven persons and in the siege Mohamed Merah's flat in Toulouse.
  • Sarkozy plea over shootings video

    French President Nicolas Sarkozy has urged TV stations not to air video of the attacks by gunman Mohamed Merah as al-Jazeera discusses showing footage. Senior officials at the satellite TV channel are meeting in Qatar to consider the recording,...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.