One person was shot dead and 18 injured in clashes between security forces and angry soccer fans in Egypt's Port Said, a medical source said.
The clashes erupted late on Friday and continued into the early hours of Saturday after the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) banned al-Masry club for two seasons, Reuters reported.
Military police shot in the air trying to disperse hundreds of supporters of the club, who gathered outside the headquarters of the Suez Canal Authority.
The EFA said in a statement that Masry's soccer activities would be suspended for the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons. The club would be reinstated to the Premier League in the 2013/14 season.
This measure was taken following the death of 74 people on February 1 at the end of a match in the local stadium.
Following the tragedy last month, the government dismissed the management of the Egyptian Football Federation and dismissed local security officials of Port Said.
On March 15, Egypt’s prosecutor general issued a statement, saying that 75 people, including nine police officers, three officials of el-Masry club and two minors,bore responsibility for the deaths in the violence following a game between Cairo’s club el-Ahly and el-Masry of Port Said.
It is worth mentioning that, al-Masry and al-Ahly football teams have a long history of bad blood and many clashes have erupted between the two sides' fans in recent years.
More as it becomes available.