Cigarette smoking is an unhealthy practice and all packs carry the mandatory warning ‘cigarette smoking is dangerous to health’ or words to that effect.
It is now known that not only the cigarettes but the cigarette lighter can be even more dangerous – if it falls into the hands of toddlers.
That is what Sarah Maynard and Larry Richards of Rangitata, Christchurch found out after their toddler burnt down their house as it was playing with the cigarette lighter.
The toddler was playing by itself with the lighter – it was pretending that the lighter was a truck and while it was pushing it over the bed, it ignited set off the fire.
Along with the house, all the belongings that they had got together over the last 12-years were lost in the blaze.