At least 16 Afghan civilians were killed by a U. S soldier who was reportedly on a breakdown, entering the house of civilians on Sunday mid-night, near his base in southern Afghanistan.
The U.S. soldier whose name was not revealed has been detained to undergo investigation after he surrendered to the U.S. military authorities, Reuters says.
ISAF deputy commander Lt. Gen. Adrian Bradshaw said in his statement "I cannot explain the motivation behind such callous acts, but they were in no way part of authorized ISAF military activity."
Also, a NATO-led spokesman Justin Brockhoff had expressed his deep regret regarding the incident, saying that the case will be investigated by the coalition.
Other media suggest that the incident happened after the U.S. soldiers had burned copies of Koran and other religious materials outside of the NATO air base in Bagram last month, which had spark protest among locals and left 30 people dead including U.S. soldiers during the demonstration.
For more post about the Koran burning incident see:http://www.allvoices.com/contributed
Meanwhile, the U.S. and Afghan government had recently signed a strategic partnership agreement regarding the turning over of the Parwan prison under Afghan controls.