European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton wrote to Secretary of Iran Supreme National Security Council,, on Tuesday, saying the two sides only had to set a date and a venue for the talks.
"We hope that Iran will now enter into a sustained process of constructive dialogue which will deliver real progress in resolving the international community's long-standing concerns on its nuclear program," Catherine Ashton said in a televised statement.
In a letter sent last month to Catherine Ashton, Iran offered to resume talks with the major powers involved (U.S., Russia, China, UK, France and Germany). The letter, signed by the Iranian negotiator Saeed Jalili, was itself a response to a letter sent by Ashton to Iran in October 2011, in which she proposed to enter into "substantive discussions." On Tuesday, the European diplomat said: "I responded today to the letter of Dr Jalili from 14 February." She added: "I offered to resume talks with Iran on the nuclear issue. "
Talks with Iran have been stalled since a the latest round held in Istanbul during January 2011.
Earlier in the day, Tehran said it would allow IAEA experts to visit the Parchin military site. "As Parchin is a military site the access involves a lengthy procedure. Thus, the visits can't be frequently allowed (...) We'll let the IAEA go there again," announced the Iranian representative to the UN agency in Vienna in a statement quoted by the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA).
In a report published in 2011, the IAEA said Iran maintains in Parchin extensive facilities for explosive tests, which, according to the UN agency, are "strong indications" of a potential weapons program.
The United States, Israel and some other western and Arab countries suspect Iran of developing nuclear weapons under the cover of a programme to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes. But Tehran claims that its nuclear programme seeks exclusively to meet the country’s need for electric energy.