Skooter reporting 03/06/12
A 3-year-old with nosy eating habits had swallowed 37 high-powered magnets, KPTV reports. After Payton Bushnell ate them, the magnets created a dangerous ring inside the girl’s digestive track, snatching her intestines together and tearing holes in both her small intestine and stomach.
X-ray shows a circle had formed in her stomach and doctors thought she swallowed a bracelet, Payton's mother, Kelli Bushnell, told the KPTV.
There have been 22 cases of children swallowing magnets since 2009, U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said. Swallowing a single magnet rarely poses problems, swallowing even just a couple can prove lethal, New York Times reported. Once someone has ingested more than one magnet, the magnets can plainly travel down the intestines until they link up, Canadian government explains on one of its health information sites. Along the way, they can form dangerous blockages and even slowly split through the intestinal walls themselves.
Payton Bushnell survived and expected to make a full recovery, thanks to her doctors at Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel.
"Her mom and I prayed and hoped she'd get through it," Payton's father, Aaron Bushnell, told KPTV. "It's a miracle she is doing as well as she is.”
Source: Odd News