“I will live! I will overcome!” said President Hugo Chavez, in a televised meeting, Sunday in Cuba where he had undergone an operation for the removal of another tumor about six days ago but without any further confirmation as when will he get back to Venezuela.
In 2011, Chavez underwent an operation wherein a baseball size tumor was removed in his pelvic area. In his recent operation, report says that a two-centimeter (0.8-inch) tumor had been successfully removed.
Chavez,57, is seeking another term of office and to extend his 13-year of rule on a Presidential race in October. In preparation, he told reporters that he needed radiation treatment for cancer and even insisting that there was no metastasis after the removal of another tumor.
“Thank God,” said the socialist leader. “My recovery is firm, fast and sustained, honestly,” he added.
With his current health problem, oppositions though had cast their doubts on Chavez whether he could still manage to run the government should he win as President.
Meanwhile, Miranda state governor Henrique Capriles, Chavez’s young election rival, is just keeping quiet as he is also called “pig” and “fascist” by Chavez camp.
The 39-year old Capriles, according to speculators is said to be benefited politically as he is still young and energetic versus the ailing incumbent president.
In addition, Capriles’ camp in their campaign visit to Caracas on Sunday, was reportedly prevented by Chavez’s supporters wherein two of his followers were injured.
“Sent by the Socialist Party, they tried to stop our visit with guns. The people came out to receive us anyway.” “What’s the fear? There is no obstacle that can stop a people who want change,” told Capriles as said in a report from Reuters.
Expressing his determination to win, Capriles told reporters that he is going to reach every corners of Venezuela and talk about what progress means.