Pakistan military, civilian heads rebuff memo fixer claims
ISLAMABAD, March 04: Pakistan Army chief and President seem to be on the same page when they came up with strong rejection of claims made by US businessman Mansoor Ejaz, the main character behind intriguing Memogate saga.
Both heads of military and civilian heads rebuffed establishment of contacts between them on May 2 midnight – when the US aircrafts carrying Navy Seals entered into Pakistani airspace, to take out the world’s most elusive person Osama Bin Laden from his hide out in Abbottabad city, near army training camp.
Manzoor Ejaz, during his testimony before a judicial commission probing the issue, had claimed that May 2 operation was in the knowledge of President Asif Ali Zardari and Army chief Asfhaq Parvaiz Kyani as they had established telephonic contacts on that night.
These reports are "absolutely untrue and unfounded", he says. While in a separate statement, an ISPR spokesman referred to Ijaz's claims and said there was "no telephone conversation between the President and the (Army Chief) on the night between May 1 and May 2, 2011". The army chief already made it clear that the operation had been conducted without his approval.
"The military leadership has briefed the joint session of the parliament as well as the Abbotabad commission on the subject and there is nothing more to add to it," the military spokesman said, referring to the judicial commission that is probing bin Laden's presence in Pakistan.