A 6.9 Magnitude earthquake hit between the islands of Negros and
Cebu before noon Monday, killing at least 43 people in Negros
Oriental a Military Spokesman said. Twenty-nine people died in a
landslide in Moog, Barangay Planas in Guihulngan City, and 10
other died in other areas, according to Col. Francisco
Patrimonio, commander of the Army's 302nd Infantry Brigade.
This Prompted government volcanologists to raise a tsunami alert
level 2 which caused panic in the City of Cebu. According to the
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
A Barangay hall also collapsed and cracks were also found in
government and commercial buildings, roads and bridges in
Guihulngan City. The quake also knocked down power lines in
Kabankalan, causing a blackout.
Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said the Tsunami alert level 2
had been cancelled as of 2:30 pm. He also said that the
earthquake was caused by a "Blank fault" meaning a fault line
that didn't surface and was not plotted in the mapped faultline.