In a barrage of mortar shells, Syrian forces killed at least 416 civilians . Over 1300 were wounded. Homs attack is the deadliest so far in the Syrian regime's crackdown on protests which erupted 11 months ago.
Locals said Syrian forces started shelling the Khalidiya neighborhood at around 8 p.m. on Friday using artillery and mortars. They said at least 36 houses were completely destroyed with families inside.
As news spread, Syrians stormed the Syrian embassy in Cairo in protest, and rallies broke out outside Syrian missions in Britain, Germany and the United States. Some opposition activists said the violence was triggered by a wave of army defections in Homs.
According to Reuters, the opposition Syrian National Council that it believed Assad's forces were preparing for similar attacks around Damascus and in the northern town of Jisr al-Shughour.
On it is part, the Syrian regime denied launching the deadly offensive, saying that civilians who were killed overnight died at the hand of "gunmen," the official SANA news agency reported.
According to the report, news footage broadcast by satellite channels showed "civilians who were kidnapped and killed by gunmen."
Meanwhile, according to the UN press service reported that the UN Security Council will put to vote its draft resolution on Syria later today . The draft takes account of a number of key concerns of Russia, China and some other countries that refused to support the demand that Syrian President Bashar Assad should step down, Tass news reported.