Egypt: Port Said football disaster update
Linkedin

Egypt: Port Said football disaster update

Port Said : Egypt | Feb 02, 2012 at 7:44 AM PST
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
Dead people in soccer riot in Egypt 73 deads Morte no Egito: invasão jogo de futebol

Egypt’s Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzouri on Thursday announced that he had sacked the board of the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) and a handful of government officials.

According to the Prime Minister, Port Said’s governor, a security head and a chief investigator have been fired. The latter two have been arrested.

Meanwhile, Egypt started three days of mourning on Thursday after 74 people died in clashes following a soccer match last night. The riots in the northern city of Port Said marked Egypt's deadliest incident in football history and sent shares on the Cairo stock exchange plunging 2.14 percent on Thursday.

For his part, Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim has said most of the deaths were caused by the crush but medics said some people were stabbed.

Egypt's state prosecutor has ordered an immediate investigation into the violence, while the parliament says it will convene an emergency session to discuss the incident.

The clashes were blamed by the Muslim Brotherhood on supporters of toppled president Hosni Mubarak.

"The events in Port Said are planned and are a message from the remnants of the former regime," said Egyptian legislator, Essam al-Erian, in a statement on the website of the Freedom and Justice Party, the Brotherhood's political wing.

“This tragedy is the result of negligence and the lack of army and police, and those running the country bear the responsibility," he added.

State television said Egypt’s military ruler, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi sent two military planes to fly out the players and the injured from Port Said late Wednesday. He stressed that the country’s security “is fine” as he waited at a Cairo airport to meet the players and wounded fans.

Moreover, according to alarabiya news,Ahly player Mohamed Abo Treika described the violence as war as Masry fans invaded the pitch after the referee blew the whistle, even though the team had beaten Ahly 3-1.

“This is not football. This is a war and people are dying in front of us. There is no movement and no security and no ambulances,” Abo Treika told the Ahly television channel. “I call for the premier league to be cancelled. This is horrible situation and today can never be forgotten.”

In Cairo, Hundreds of people have blocked Tahrir Square in central Cairo to road traffic, RIA Novosti reports.

They are protesting against the lack of action by the authorities which in their opinion led to the tragedy at the football stadium in Port Said on Wednesday.

1 of 32
Next
Egypt: Port Said football disaster update
Soccer fans flee from a fire at Port Said Stadium February 1, 2012. (REUTERS)
saleh1966 is based in Gaza, Ġazzah, Palestine, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Scores killed in Egypt soccer tragedy

      Mail and Guardian
    At least 74 people were killed and hundreds injured when rival fans clashed on Wednesday after a soccer match in the Egyptian city of Port Said, in what Fifa called a "black day for football". YouTube video footage of the pitch invasion in Port Said...
  • Security boss sacked over Egypt soccer carnage

      Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim said the city's security chief Essam Samak had been removed, as the Egyptian parliament held an emergency session to consider what to do about the incident. The government has also called for three days of mourning...
  • Violent clashes following Egyptian football match kill 73 and injure more ...

      Mail Online UK
    The game was between Al Ahli, one of Egypt's most successful clubs, and Al-Masry, a team based in Port Said. Live television footage showed Masry fans running onto the field after the referee blew the whistle and chasing Ahli players , even though...
  • Fury at army and police over Egypt soccer riot deaths

      The Independent
    Egyptians today accused the ruling generals of failing to prevent the riots that led to the deaths of 74 people in clashes at a soccer stadium. Young men blocked roads near the state television building and the capital's landmark Tahrir Square, and a...
  • Egypt: Days of Mourning Declared After Football Violence

      Africa Headlines
    The Egyptian daily online news service, Ahram Online said that thousands of Masry fans stormed the pitch immediately after the final whistle, chasing Ahly players and technical staff members, who ran for their lives. Shocked Ahly fans, who gathered...
  • More than 70 killed in riot at Egyptian soccer game

      Baltimore Sun
    Seventy-three people were killed and at least 1,000 injured on Wednesday after a soccer pitch invasion in the Egyptian city of Port Said, in what a deputy minister called the biggest disaster in the nation's soccer history. Violence at football...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report

Most Commented Reports



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.