Dozens killed in Nigeria
Linkedin

Dozens killed in Nigeria

Maiduguri : Nigeria | Dec 24, 2011 at 11:52 AM PST
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
ITV News - Nigeria attack: 100 die



Medical sources reported that about fifty were killed this week in a wave of new violence erupted in the north-eastern Nigeria between the Islamic group Boko Haram and security forces.

The same sources reported on Saturday that the bodies were transferred to the hospital morgue and mortuary Damatturo in Maiduguri after acts of violence and clashes broke out Thursday in the two cities and in the city Botescum.

A group Boko Haram claimed responsibility for these actions, said a spokesman, Abu Kaka told the French news "We are responsible for the attacks in Maiduguri and Damatturo and Botescum."

The same spokesman said the group wanted revenge to what he called the brothers who were killed by Nigerian security forces in 2009, indicating that they would continue their attacks.

For his part, Chief of Staff Army Gen. Nigerian Ozobojka Aaahjerica that the army killed more than fifty members of Boko Haram in an exchange of fire in the northern city of Damatturo east of the country.

Initial reports had indicated that a gun battle erupted between Nigerian security forces and suspected members of the group Boko Haram in the late evening of Friday, killing at least 19 people.

But General Aaahjerica said in comments carried by local radio station in northern Nigeria that Boko Haram suffered heavy casualties in the fighting.

He added that there was a major confrontation with the Boko Haram in Damatturo, and that security forces raided the stronghold and the location of ammunition of their own, pointing out that he was with them a sophisticated and heavy weapons and bombs.Nigerian Gen. revealed that they have lost three soldiers and wounded seven.



Boko Haram claimed responsibility for a large number of attacks in northern Nigeria the mainly Muslim majority. It claimed responsibility for suicide attack in August / August at United Nations Headquarters in Abuja, which resulted in 24 dead.

1 of 25
Next
Maiduguri has borne the brunt of the violence blamed on Islamist sect Boko Haram
Maiduguri has borne the brunt of the violence blamed on Islamist sect Boko Haram
Abdel Fattah Hussein is based in Cairo, Kairo, Egypt, and is a Reporter for Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • 46 Killed in Clashes Between Nigerian Security, Boko Haram

      Voice of America
    A military spokesman said Boko Haram began clashing with security forces Thursday in the cities of Damaturu and Maiduguri, where witnesses have reported hearing gunshots and explosions. A purported Boko Haram spokesman says the group launched attacks...
  • Nigerian army claims deaths of 50 militants

      Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    A sustained gun battle broke out between Nigerian security forces and suspected members of the Boko Haram militant group late on Friday, killing at least 19 people, initial reports suggested. But Army Chief of Staff Lieutenant General Azubuike...
  • Death toll in Nigeria attack rises dramatically

      Mail and Guardian
    The death toll following violence over the past two days in northern Nigeria has risen sharply from seven to 46, medical sources said on Saturday. The attacks which saw northern cities rocked by explosions and gunfire were claimed by the Islamist...
  • At least 61 dead in northeast Nigeria violence

      Star Tribune
    At least 61 people have been killed during several days of fighting in northeast Nigeria between security forces and a radical Muslim sect responsible for a series of increasingly bloody attacks in Africa's most populous nation, authorities said...
  • Nigeria clashes 'leave 50 dead'

    Boko Haram battles 'kill at least 50' Damaturu was the scene of an attack by Islamists last month More than 50 people have died in days of fighting between Nigerian troops and suspected Islamist gunmen in the country's north-east, officials say.
  • Nigeria clashes kill at least 68, say officials

      The Observer
    Gun battles have broke, out between Nigerian security forces and suspected Islamist militants. Photograph: Reuters Gun battles between Nigerian security forces and an Islamist sect have killed at least 68 people in two days of fighting in northern...

Blogs

 >

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.