MANILA, Philippines (Dec. 20) – State of national calamity has been declared by the Philippines government after the flash floods triggered by Sendong (Washi) storm during last week that left more than 1,000 dead.
The storm and floods not only caused the huge number of deaths but it has left more than 338,000 people stranded after losing their homes, National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said. The national disaster has also prompted a health crisis over the disposing off of the dead to stop disease from spreading.
Most of the sufferers have been in the cities of Cagayan de Oro and Iligan in the Mindanao region.
National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council says more than 338,000 people in 13 provinces have been affected by typhoon Washi, with nearly 43,000 others still in evacuation centers.