Has anyone noticed how the 1% have revolted against the Occupy Wall Street movement as of late by siccing the police on the protesters in a vain effort to crush the protesters rights to free speech, rights to peaceful assembly, and rights to airing our respective grievances out in the open?
It shouldn't come as a surprise. The 1% have a lot at stake when it comes to corporate greed and social inequality. In their minds, the more money they have, the better off they are. Who cares if the rest of the 99% have little or nothing in return?
It's not their problem.
But it is. Corporate greed is what put many of the 99% in the dog house by crashing the economy one too many times and then asking the American taxpayer to bail them out to the tune of trillions of dollars which have only gone to the pockets of rich and wealthy CEOs of failed banking institutions that were largely responsible for the economic disparity that we are facing right now.
Corporate greed is also responsible for the huge shift in income disparity which is keenly felt when you factor in capital gains taxes--where the top 0.1% (315,000 individuals) earn half of all US capital gains and the rest of us are still wallowing in stagnant wages and debt hell brought on by the government's continued inability to level the playing field for both the shrinking middle class and the burdened working poor.
And you wonder why the youth of America have risen and revolted against Wall Street?
Of course, the Republicans don't like what's going on. And neither does Wall Street--seeing how the pair are intricately connected on an intimate level.
So they've been on a nasty campaign to discredit the Wall Street movement by painting and smearing them negatively by highlighting the acts of a few "planted" individuals whom the GOP and the Tea Party have paid to start trouble, riots, and cause mischief that would look good on the front page or on the internet.
A law firm connected with some influential Republican lawmakers (including one John Boehner) is shelling out $850,000 to smear the OWS movement as something negative and disrupting in a bid to shut it down before it grow and cause even more damage.
The current crop of GOP candidates (Herman Cain and Newt Gingrich) have mocked the movement by implying that they are going all out to disrupt the people's ability to carry on in a normal fashion by stating how they should be getting jobs and bathing respectively instead of protesting Wall Street and other things.
Even the police are getting involved, becoming more heavy-handed by acting out aggressively against passively demonstrating students in an attempt to rile things up--hoping that more and more people will be turned off by the movement than fired up.
Or preventing the protesters from setting up camp and protesting what's been on all of our minds lately.
Such actions only embolden the mindset that Corporate America has more of a grip on our politicians and local police force than most would dare give credit for.
That they have more to lose in the long run of social unrest continues and then morphs into something even more far-reaching.
Like real policy change. The kind that would address such long standing problems of social inequality rather than trying to stick a band-aid dressing on it and calling it good.
This is what the Republicans, the Tea Party, Corporate America, and even our own police have been trying to stop from happening. From letting America see the true face of America today instead of all the glory, glitz, and glamor of a political system that has been long since corrupted and abused by the elite.
And as we all have seen, they will go to great lengths to see that the little people have no rights whatsoever.
Including the ones guaranteed under the US Constitution.