Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the International Court prosecutor who was conducting investigations on alleged widespread sexual abuse by Gaddafi supporters in Libya, said on Wednesday he believed the rapes were part of ‘an organized campaign of sexual abuse’ and they were trying to ‘pin down’ exactly who ordered the sex attacks, Huffington Post said.
He said “We have one witness who was a soldier who says he received instructions to rape."
Moreno-Ocampo told the UN Security Council last week they were probing hundreds of alleged rapes, but the true number which could run to thousands, was difficult to establish because the victims were reluctant to report rape cases.
Investigators were looking for the whereabouts of Gaddafi’s son Seif al-Islam and former Libyan intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senoussi, who were indicted by the International Court in June for unleashing a campaign of torture and murder to suppress the uprising against the Gaddafi regime, to shed light on the issue.
He said ‘it is a matter of time’ before the two would be brought to justice.
The U.N. Security Council authorized the court to investigate events in Libya in February.