The Southern Conference (SoCon) is one of the greatest conferences in college basketball from a historical standpoint. Many teams that are currently in the ACC and in the SEC played their college basketball in the SoCon many decades ago. Will this conference make history again this season? Well, you have to check out my predictions below in order to find out.
SoCon North Division (It's sort of ironic that the Southern Conference has a North Division, but it does!):
1. Chattanooga. Four starters return for Chattanooga. All four averaged over 9 ppg last season.
2. Appalachian State. Four starters return as well for the 'Lach, but their leading scorer, Donald Sims (21 ppg), graduated.
3. Western Carolina. The Catamounts' helter-skelter style of play will keep them in the hunt within the SoCon.
4. Elon. The Fighting Phoenix have three starters returning along with a deep bench.
5. UNC-Greensboro. Four starters return, but they all averaged under 10 ppg.
6. Samford. The team has not adjusted to the higher level of competition after entering the SoCon four years ago.
South Division (That sounds more like it!):
1. Davidson. The team has been down for a few years, but they will be back this season due to four starters returning.
2. Georgia Southern. The Eagles took their lumps last season, but they should be able step up this season.
3. College of Charleston. No Goudelock, so there won't be any good luck for Charleston this season.
4. Furman.only have one returning starter, but their depth is sound.
5. Wofford. No Dahlman.
6. The Citadel. The team only won ten games overall last season. With four starters graduating, this squad has been decimated.