Israeli Settlers Have Cut Down 200 Olive Trees In Nablus
Linkedin

Israeli Settlers Have Cut Down 200 Olive Trees In Nablus

Nablus : Palestine | Oct 06, 2011 at 12:05 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 
Israeli troops have arrested around 40 people in a village near Nablus

On Thursday morning 200 olive trees belonging to three Palestinian families in Qusra village near Nablus were uprooted and many trees were also burned in the area by a group of Israeli settlers .

Palestinian Authority official said that agroup of settlers destroyed trees in the south of the village at midnight, days before the olive harvest is due to begin.

The Nablus area has witnessed a surge in settler attacks over the last month, including village raids, attacks on property and the vandalism of two mosques.

On Sept. 5, settlers broke into al-Nurayn mosque in Qusra, smashing windows before setting fire to used tires inside the building and spray-painting anti-Arab slogans and the Star of David.

Palestinian Prime Minister Salaam Fayyad announced a plan to include members of the Palestinian security forces in a “voluntary campaign” to protect the olive trees during the harvest season, which begins in October as every year attacks by Israeli settlers against Palestinian olive farmers increase around the harvest time.

According to a report by the international aid group Oxfam last year said that the olive sector contributes up to $100 million in yearly income for some of the poorest families.

In another attack, Israeli army bulldozers on Thursday demolished structures in several West Bank villages.

In al-Farisiyah and al-Malih villages near Tubas, Israeli forces destroyed animal shelters and tent homes without any warning, village council head Aref Daragmeh told maan news. In Beit Kahel, near Hebron, local youth threw stones at Israeli troops demolishing structures in the village. Soldiers fired tear gas and stun grenades at the crowd.

"They raided us around 6 a.m. Since the morning, occupation forces and their intelligence forces came here. They imposed curfew to prevent anyone from reaching the house and they isolated us in the house and beat up the men. Then they demolished the house. I say God will take revenge at them," said Halima al-Khatib, a family member of the demolished structure's owner.

A spokesperson for the Israeli Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, Major Guy Inbar, told Reuters that the army was demolishing a water pool that was built without permits. A demolition order was handed to the facility's owner, he added.

The Diakonia resource center for international humanitarian law says Israel's demolition of water cisterns in the West Bank has directly affected the lives of 13,602 Palestinians since 2009.

Israel's civil administration routinely destroys Palestinian structures built without Israeli permission in the 62 percent of the West Bank designated Area C under the Oslo Accords.

"Systematic and widespread administrative destruction of a range of civilian structures in area C, including homes, schools and cisterns, has been taking place since the end of 1980s," Diakonia said in its recent legal brief on West Bank demolitions.

While Israel has limited Palestinian representation in the planning process, settlers' representation and participation has been guaranteed by military orders "creating a separate but unequal planning regime for Israeli settlements," Diakonia said in the September report.

"Establishing separate but unequal planning institutions for Palestinians and settlers does not only reinforce the unlawful construction of settlements and disregard the special protected status of Palestinians, but also discriminates between settlers and Palestinians in exercising their basic rights through the planning process," the legal brief adds.

The report highlights that the destruction of any civilian object during occupation is prohibited under the Fourth Geneva Convention "except where such destruction is rendered absolutely necessary by military operations" and even then, only if the structure is used solely by militants.

When structures such as water cisterns are destroyed, civilian populations are forced to leave the area. Diakonia notes that the forced transfer of a population is absolutely prohibited under international humanitarian law.

1 of 11
Next
Israeli Settlers Have Cut Down 200 Olive Trees In Nablus
We will not leave our land
saleh1966 is based in Gaza, Ġazzah, Palestine, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Israeli Settlers destroy Olive Plantations

      Asian Tribune
    44 — editor Under the cover of darkness and under the watchful eyes of Israeli soldiers Israeli settlers entered Palestinian olive groves and burn and uproot hundreds olive trees in three villages in southern Nablus (Madama, Huwara, and Ainabous) and...
  • Palestinians accuse settlers of cutting down 150 olive trees

      NOW Lebanon
    Around 150 olive trees in the West Bank were cut down overnight in an attack blamed by Palestinians on Jewish settlers. The destruction, in Qusra village in the northern West Bank, followed a weekend during which 200 olive trees were uprooted and...
  • Settler violence in a time of security

      War In Context
    The murders of Palestinian laborers and Israeli Arab bus passengers by two settlers during the disengagement from Gaza was provoked, of course, by the disengagement from Gaza. The drive-by murders of Palestinians during the second intifada were...
  • Settlers Uproot 200 Olive Tree Near Nablus

      International Middle East Media Center
    File Ghassan Douglas, in charge of the settlements file at the Palestinian Authority in the northern part of the West Bank, reported that the orchard in question is located south of the village. Fathallah Abu Reeda, 45 belong to Ghassan Hassan, 25...
  • The Israeli government is directly responsible for the ongoing harm ...

      B'Tselem
    The vandalism occurred south of the village, in an area adjacent to the location of several outposts of the Shilo settlement. Some of the olive trees bore fruit, which the owners intended to pick in the coming days. Residents told B'Tselem that they...
  • Israeli settlers, Palestinians trade accusations

      Arab News
    Palestinian villagers in the northern West Bank are accusing Jewish settlers of destroying dozens of olive trees. The Israeli military confirmed on Thursday that vandals chopped down at least 150 trees in the village of Qusra, which was the site of...

Images

 >
 

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.