Let go unspent Ondoy funds for Pedring victims, PH budget agency told
Linkedin

Let go unspent Ondoy funds for Pedring victims, PH budget agency told

Manila : Philippines | Sep 28, 2011 at 6:39 PM PDT
XX XX
Views: Pending
 

By Gerry Albert Corpuz and Kremlin Montenegro

MANILA, Philippines- The activist fisherfolk alliance Pambansang Lakas ng Kilusang Mamamalakaya ng Pilipinas (Pamalakaya) asked Department of Budget and Management (DBM) Secretary Florencio "Butch" Abad to release the P 12-B unspent Ondoy funds for relief and rehabilitation efforts concerning victims of typhoon Pedring.

In a press statement, Pamalakaya national chair Fernando Hicap said Secretary Abad has no reason to "hostage" the P 12-B unused Ondoy funds, saying the 100,000 people displaced by typhoon Pedring all over Luzon badly needs urgent relief assistance and economic rehabilitation.

"Secretary Abad should let the unspent P 12-B Ondoy funds go to urgent and strategic plans for economic relief and rehabilitation. The DBM should not hostage these funds intended for such purpose," Hicap noted.

The Pamalakaya leader said of the P 12-B Ondoy funds approved by Congress in 2009 for rehabilitation, the DBM only released P 339 million or merely 3 percent of the total budget allocation in 2010.

"To be specific, a total of P 11.6 billion is still intact and the DBM has no option but to release the funds so it could immediately address the wholesale need for economic relief of affected victims of typhoon Pedring," Hicap said.

Pamalakaya likewise dared President Benigno Simeon Aquino III to release his remaining pork barrel funds this year to fund the economic rehabilitation of farmers and fisherfolk livelihood battered by typhoon Pedring.

The group noted President Aquino has P 68-B audit free presidential pork barrel this year. The fisherfolk leader believed a substantial part of Aquino’s pork barrel is intact in the Office of the President and should be rechanneled to the urgent needs of farmers and fisherfolk whose livelihood were devastated by typhoon Pedring.

“We challenge President Aquino to declare an aboveboard status of his P 68-B pork barrel given by the Liberal Party dominated Congress last year. And such declaration shall be followed with another policy statement that says the remaining funds will be allocated to help farmers and fishermen, the main economic casualties of typhoon Pedring,”Pamalakaya said.

The group said the P 68-B pork barrel fund of Aquino is within the sole discretion of the President and he can make use of the audit free funds for disaster management and economic rehabilitation.

“The release of the remaining funds of P 68-B pork barrel fund is just a phone call away from Japan. Why not call budget Secretary Florencio Abad and instruct him to release the funds for farmers and fisherfolk and make sure these funds will not go to farm to pocket roads which is the current trend today even under this administration ,” said Pamalakaya.

GerryAlbert is based in Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines, and is an Anchor on Allvoices.
Report Credibility
 
  • Clear
  • Share:
  • Share
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
  • Clear
 
 
 
Advertisement
 

News Stories

 
  • Gov’t still upbeat on targets

      Business World
    The 5-6% GDP (gross domestic product) target used as the budget assumption could stay there. I think it is still possible for us to hit that in the second semester, Budget Secretary Florencio B. Abad told reporters on Friday at the sidelines of a...
  • Investments, stronger ties touted as Aquino ends trip

      Business World
    Aquino III returned yesterday evening from a three-day working visit to Japan, which he claimed had resulted in over a billion dollars in new investments and a strengthened strategic partnership. In just three days, we took part in 36 meetings and...
  • P534.3M released for rice programs - Budget Dept.

      GMA News
    The Department of Budget and Management has released P534.3 million for the agricultural programs ensuring rice sufficiency in the country. The funds would be used for on-farm and postharvest mechanization programs under the Department of...
  • DBCC to soon reassess targets, Budget chief says

      Business World
    The review] will be before Oct. 10, said Budget Secretary Florencio B...Executive Technical Board finally convened yesterday to finalize its recommendations, he said, noting that a meeting on Wednesday had been called off following typhoon Pedring's...
  • Palace seeks boats, volunteers to help typhoon, flood victims

      GMA News
    Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said relief and rescue workers need boats that can maneuver in flooded areas in Central Luzon, and volunteers who can help repack relief goods of the Department of Social Welfare and Development...As for...

More From Allvoices

Report Your News Got a similar story?
Add it to the network!

Or add related content to this report



Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use Agreement and Privacy Policy.

© Allvoices, Inc. 2008-2014. All rights reserved. Powered by PulsePoint.