How does it always happen? An important event comes along and I miss it. It seems that I almost missed National Breakfast Month; if it wasn’t for those nice folks at SPLENDA, I would have missed it completely.
In celebration, SPLENDA shares four breakfast recipes that look a whole lot better and more healthful than what I normally put on my breakfast table. Remember, if there’s an ingredient you don’t like, you can always substitute or just leave it out. For complete nutritional information, click on the link at the bottom of each recipe.
Blueberry Pomegranate Smoothie
This Super Fruit Smoothie made with blueberries and pomegranate juice is a great way to get the Antioxidants your body needs each day.
· Serves: 1
· Prep Time: 5 minutes
· 2 packets SPLENDA® ESSENTIALS™ No CalorieSweetener with Antioxidants
· ½ cup blueberries
· ½ cup 100% pomegranate juice
· ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth.
NOTE: Serving size: about 8 fl. oz.
Greek Yogurt Cereal Parfait
This breakfast parfait is a fun and healthy alternative to the same old bowl of cereal…and it’s packed with nutrients and flavor.
· Serves: 1
· Prep Time: 15 minutes
· 3 packets SPLENDA® ESSENTIALS™ No CalorieSweetener with B Vitamins
· ½ cup sliced strawberries
· ¼ cup blueberries
· ¼ cup kiwi, peeled and sliced
· 1 cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
· 2 tablespoons granola cereal clusters
1. MIX SPLENDA® ESSENTIALS™ No Calorie Sweetener with B Vitamins and fruit in a small bowl.
2. SPOON ½ cup yogurt into a tall glass. Top with half of the fruit mixture. Repeat. Top with cereal.
NOTE: Serving size: 1 parfait
Tropical Yogurt Parfait
Use a pretty glass to show off the beautiful layers in this parfait of tropical fruit, Greek yogurt, and toasted coconut.
· Serves: 6
· Prep Time: 30 Minutes
1. Toast all of the coconut in a small frying pan over low heat for 5-8 minutes or until golden brown. Stir frequently.
2. Mix yogurt, crushed pineapple, vanilla, SPLENDA®ESSENTIALS™ No Calorie Sweetener with Fiber and 2 tablespoons of toasted coconut together in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Mix chopped fruit together.
4. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of yogurt mixture into parfait glasses or other clear serving dishes. Top with about ¼ cup of the fruit mixture. Repeat so there are two layers of yogurt and two layers of fruit in each serving dish. Sprinkle each parfait with a bit of the remaining toasted coconut.
Yogurt, oats, and nuts come together to create a healthy and hearty breakfast that satisfies. Blueberries or bananas can be used in place of strawberries if you like.
· Serves: Makes 2
· Prep Time: 10 minutes
· 1 cup sliced strawberries
· 4 packets SPLENDA® ESSENTIALS™ No CalorieSweetener with B Vitamins, divided
· ⅓ cup nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
· ¼ cup nonfat milk
· ½ cup old fashioned oats
· 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
· 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
1. TOSS strawberries with 1 packet of SPLENDA®ESSENTIALS™ No Calorie Sweetener with B Vitamins.
2. MIX together remaining ingredients.
3. DIVIDE muesli into two serving dishes.
4. TOP with strawberries.