In one of our major subjects, our instructor was discussing about the mission, vision, objectives and philosophy an institution should contain. Shocked and a bit surprised, I put my ears in front of her discussion when she interrupted for a while and relates other topics. " Don't you know that our institution especially in the College of Nursing has a lot of foreigners", she said as a smile crowns in her face. I also smiled but the context of my smile is a concealment. A smile that would often symbolize my pride as a student of the institution.
My instructor often added that the College of Nursing in UC will soon be recognized as an international school of nursing. Well, the goal there can be thoroughly achieved and it is one of the real future perceptions I always keep to remember.
Being valued with the accreditation of achieving autonomous status highly marked the motivation of more foreign students to enroll in these prestigious university. Of course, the college of nursing is not only considered but to other departments as well, containing more foreign students.
Everywhere and anywhere you tour inside the campus; be it in the canteen, along the terrace, in the comfort rooms, inside the classroom or in the libraries is an observation that will prove a high population of foreign students enrolled in this university. Most of them are Koreans, Africans and Filipino-Americans.
However, what might be their reasons why they chose UC among other famous and excellent institutions in Baguio?
These are most of the reasons why they chose UC:
1. UC is now a popular search in the net- The creative website design of UC with its inclusion in the academic and international recognitions attracted many foreigners.
2. Trimester program-The offering of trimester program to all courses except Nursing and Law divulges their reason to finish their university degree in a faster way. In the trimester program, a baccalaureate degree can only be finished in 3 years time-saving for their allowances, living expenses and even tuition fees.
3. Excellent centers of quality education- UC has centers of excellence in 3 departments which are the College of Criminology and Justice Education, College of Information Technology, and College of Teacher Education. Also, as far as I am hearing some news, other colleges are also in the direction to meet centers of excellence. Until all achieves this goal, all courses in UC will be spread internationally to gain recognition abroad.
4. Open entry- UC is the only institution which is open to all students. It does not need screening and exam process just like other institutions do yet UC achieves high performance appraisal towards providing quality education.
5. Autonomous status- The "Award of Distinction" proves that UC manifests good quality of instruction, excellent research and outstanding performances of graduates not only in the Philippines but also abroad where foreign students acquires a high rate of appreciation in the work place of their country.
6. Atmospheric, clean and green institution- "UC is very clean and neat, students can sit in any floor, in the stairs or anywhere. We can also change our dress in the comfort room during Physical Education trainings. You can step in the comfort room without your foot wear. Everything is clean in this institution" says a foreign friend who is from Ghana.
7. World class equipment and facilities found only in this institution- True enough that UC has complete and well-equipped things used for quality education which is best suited in the learning needs of students especially the foreigners.Each course was given high-class facilities such as improved mannequin sets from the college of nursing. Each room also has expensive projectors and automatic screens. Well, not only those things because UC is now imposing a plan that each classroom will conceive flat educational Television sets and advanced type of ceiling lampshades. The plan is realistic as they already started in one classroom.
8. Atmospheric classroom, competitive, confident, friendly and intelligent instructors- "With the good english speaking skills and competitive outlay of instructors, I can easily adjust with the environment and the students" says a friend from Pakistan.
9. Friendly and disciplined students- UC molds students to become professionally disciplined when they graduate. Just like an example set in the canteen, students are merely trained to pick up their plates and food wrappers and return and disposes them in the counter area. Foreigners are also highly trained to do such good habits.
10. International linkages- UC is the only accredited university linked and affiliated with different Prestigious universities in Asia. 4 universities is presently linked from China, 3 in South Korea and one in Australia. Further, the University is also affiliated with 7 international organizations in Asia and the Pacific.During the graduation rites and ceremony last May, 2011; All of the guest speakers came from different universities in Asia.
11. School and legions of board topnotchers- UC has amassed a total of 178 topnotchers in the state licensure examinations. UC has two Bar Topnotchers: Janet P. Abuel in 1998, and Noel Neil Q. Malimban in 2006.
So this what makes foreign students to study in the University