A senior National Transitional Council official in Libya has told Al Jazeera that Saadi Gaddafi is willing to give himself up. He is the third son of the deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi. The commander, Abdel Hakim Belhaj, said al-Saadi first called him Tuesday and asked whether his safety could be guaranteed.
“We told him ‘Don’t fear for your life. We will guarantee your rights as a human being, and will deal with you humanely,’ said Belhaj, who added that al-Saadi would be turned over to legal authorities.
According to Belhaj, Al-Saadi told him he had not killed anyone, and that “he was not against the people.”
“I told him ‘This is good. What is important for us is not to shed Libyan blood. For the members of the regime to surrender is the best way to do this,’” Belhaj said.
The commander said al-Saadi had called back early Wednesday morning, but that he had missed the call.
Belhaj’s remarks came hours after Gaddafi’s chief spokesman, Moussa Ibrahim, called the AP, reiterating the senior Gaddafi’s offer to send al-Saadi to negotiate with the rebels and form a transitional government. The rebels have previously rejected such offers.
Ibrahim also rejected a rebel ultimatum for loyalists in Sirte to surrender by Saturday or face an attack.