Zimmerman ordered back to jail - bail revoked over hidden passport and wife's lies to court
On Friday, presiding Judge Kenneth Lester Jr. reportedly revoked Defendant George Zimmerman's bail, ordering him to report back to jail in 48 hours.
Defense lawyer Mark O'Mara said in a recent press conference broadcasted live on CNN, that his client needed to be protected during this process.
Zimmerman did not reveal to the court that he had a second passport. O'Mara said the passport has expired therefore he didn't think to let the court know about it. Another serious misrepresentation comes against his wife Shelley Zimmerman, whom reports say knew of his PayPal account when she told the court they had no money.
Judge Lester apparently takes this subterfuge seriously and deemed this an outright lie for she allegedly had knowledge of the $204,000 sitting in husband's online account--funds collected from donors contributing to the website Zimmerman himself had set up. Incidentally, the judge did not grant the prosecution their wish to revoke bail last month when they found out about the undisclosed Paypal money. That amount is reportedly now $193,000.
The 28-year-old neighborhood watchman was released on $150,000 bond after he was arrested and charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
The teenager was gunned down as he walked home from a nearby 7-Eleven on the night of Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla. Zimmerman wasn't immediately arrested for the killing, claiming self-defense under Florida's controversial Stand Your Ground Law. Surveillance video from the 7-Eleven where he bought the iced tea and Skittles he was carrying on that deadly night was released, showing Martin only minutes before he was killed.
After widespread protests across Sandord and the rest of the country, Zimmerman was arrested and charged almost two months after he fatally shot a single hollow point bullet through Martin's heart.. New prosecutor Angela Corey meted out the charges after former State prosecutor Norm Wolfnger recused himself from the case and Sanford police Chief Lee stepped down.
Many accused them of bias and mishandling the case because Martin was an African-American teen. Though the FBI has reportedly opened an investigation into the killing, Zimmerman has not been charged with a hate crime.
Lawyer for the Trayvon Martin family, Benjamin Crump, said during his Friday press conference that the judge did the right thing and that Zimmerman should remain behind bars until the trial. Crump also said that this new development showed a pattern of dishonesty and that if Zimmerman could not be trusted to tell the truth about this, he could not be trusted to be honest about what happened the night he shot and killed his clients' son.
The case is shaping up to be a complicated one for witnesses have since changed their stories. One witness who before had said that the person screaming for help heard on the released 911 tapes were the defendant's. Now he has retracted saying he is not sure who was crying out or who was on top during the scuffle he allegedly witnessed through his window on that fatal night-- because it was "too dark."
Medical reports from Zimmerman's private doctor was released in early this month stating he had a black eye, fractured nose, busted lip and a small gash to the back of the head. Photos taken by police on the night of the killing, were also released along with Martin's autopsy report, which showed he died from a single gunshot through the chest, fired at medum range. He also had a small cut on his left ring finger.
Check back for more developments as they become available and click on the links below for some of my earlier reports.